Doctoroo and the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Rachel Wellner

Today's book is in the Doctoroo series that I first featured in June. If you have not read the post it is worth the read. The Doctoroo books are perfect for ages 3-7 and teach children important lessons.

 
Book Description:

Doctoroo (also known as Dr. Marsha Roo) and her team Kirby Koala, Louie Llama and Terence Toad may live in Australia, but they travel the world solving medical mysteries. In Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates, they fly to the United States to find out why bear cubs in the Tumbling Potomac Pirates won't practice their somersaults, cartwheels, or handsprings. Will Doctoroo discover what is wrong? Will she have the answer in time for the cubs to perform on the Fourth of July, America's Independence Day?

Book Review:

It is almost the 4th of July and the bear cubs need to be ready to perform for the crowd. Doctoroo and her team are on the case to find out what is bothering the cubs. This fun book will teach your little one about the food pyramid and also other facts such as how bears hibernate. The pictures add so much to the book with the bright and color illustrations! Childhood obesity is becoming more common especially in the US so the more tools we have to teach our little ones to eat the right foods, the better. The author and illustrator even includes a note in the beginning of the book about this. I highly recommend this book for any child even as they grow up and start to make their own food choices at schools and other places. The characters really bring this book to life and it is a great series!!


Author Interview:

How do you do research for your books? (Health issues, animals, locations, etc.)

I try to combine creativity in developing the story with cited sources for the medical information. I use Google Scholar, personal experience in my medical practice, things I learned in my own education. I also look up articles on the geography and cultural aspects of the locations I use in my stories. Sometimes my editor or project manager will also suggest animal characters or story twists.

 

There are lots of children's books out there that talk about health. What makes yours different?

Doctoroo is a series dedicated to teaching kids from pre-school to grade school about basic health issues and maintenance.  I use the format of a mystery followed by a global trip Doctoroo and friends take to solve that mystery to enhance the excitement of "catching the culprit" and teaching kids the basic health lesson.  I think the travel and mystery components are unique. I add fun facts about the location and culture in the books, plus the fun sidekicks and Doctoroo’s special personality. I also make sure that Louie, Terence and Kirby ask Doctoroo the questions a child might ask the parent.

 

If you could put yourself in your book, what animal would you be?

Doctoroo is me! Actually, all of the characters - Terence, Kirby and Louie are different parts of my personality.

 

If there is one thing you want readers to remember about you, what would it be?

Writing these stories to teach kids good health habits is part of my commitment to humanity and especially children. It's why I became a doctor. It's also central to my core belief that you must find the positive in negative experiences and try to grow through them.

 

Is there anything else you would like us to know?

I just want you to love Doctoroo as much as I do, and I think you will once you read the books.  She's an international, emblematic female, and a soldier for health.  I'm excited to be on your blog!


Buy the Book
Amazon


Meet the Author:

Dr. Rachel Wellner is a board-certified general surgeon, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a Society of Surgical Oncology-trained breast oncology surgeon.

Connect with the Author: Website Facebook Instagram ~ Goodreads

Enter the Giveaway:

Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates Book Tour Giveaway




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coloring the Rainbow: The Power of Connection by Catherine Rose

The Last Train From Paris by Juliet Greenwood

The Prime Suspect by Lauren Carr