The Secrets We Conceal - Interview with S.R. Fabrico

You may remember a blog post where I introduced you to The Secrets We Conceal. Now that you have had a chance to read this wonderful book, I wanted to interview the author to give you more insight into the book and her writing. Thank you to iReadBookTours for the chance to tour with this book again and share more information with the readers.

Congratulations on your debut novel! How does it feel for your book to the out in the world?

It feels surreal! I pretty much wake up every day and pinch myself to remind myself that it is reality and not a dream. It is overwhelming, gratifying, exciting, and terrifying all at the same time.

What is your elevator pitch for this book to someone who is just learning about it?

The book will make you cry, laugh and root for Laura as you walk with her on her journey to healing and love!

Why did you want to write this book? How was it to write about child abuse and the lasting impact?

I wanted to provide insight into the topic to help others truly understand what their friends, co-workers, daughters, neighbors, etc. might be going through if they experienced child sexual abuse. It was very emotional to write the book and there were many times that I did not think I would publish it.

What research did you do for this book?

I drew from personal experience, but also did a fair amount of research on child sexual abuse and the statistics. Most often the victims do not speak up. What they have suffered is painful enough. I also did some research on some of the locations mentioned in the book.

What do you hope the readers walk away with at the end of the book?

I hope that readers will ultimately enjoy the story. I wanted readers to go on the roller coaster ride with Laura so they could truly understand to the best of their ability what someone goes through. I hope that they will have more understanding of the topic and nature of child sexual abuse. And ultimately be more willing to discuss it with those who may need an ear to listen to. So often people cringe and want to change topic, but a victim who is ready to open up, needs and listener. That listener could be you; it could be anyone. Be willing to listen. 

Did you know the title when you started writing the book or did the title come later?

HAHAHA, ABSOLUTELY NOT! I tortured myself trying to find the best title for the book. I made list after list trying to come up with the perfect title for the book. I finally decided on The Secrets We Conceal after the book was complete and was editing it for the gazillionth time. I felt like most people could relate to a concealed secret because most people have them.

Did you always want to be a writer?

I thought about being a writer when I was a little girl, but I gravitated towards math and put the thought of writing out of my mind. Then as an adult, I thought, you know what, I want to do this. I wanted to write a book!

Do you have a favorite place or time to write?

Not specifically. I work full time and have 2 children, so I often write in the evenings or on the weekends. Sometimes I will take off work and go away for 2 days to just be in solitude and knock out as much writing as I can. 

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I am usually working, running kids around to their sports, watching soccer games or gymnastics meets. I love to read and watch movies or TV shows. I really enjoy painting, but I haven’t been able to squeeze a lot of that in lately.

What are some authors that you love to read?

I used to read Janet Evanovich, the Stephanie Plum series. I loved her books. I also enjoy Dan Brown his books are extremely thought-provoking and well written. I enjoy a good Nicholas Sparks book; I mean what woman doesn’t! Currently, I am in a book club and I read whatever book is selected that month. It is a variety of genres and authors which I enjoy. I am not particular to any specific genre. I am usually willing and open to reading anything. I am in business and marketing, and I read a lot of Non-fiction business books as well. Simon Sinek is my favorite in that style. 

Do you have pets?

I have three dogs. Ollie, Angel, and Andi.

Your family is very important to you. Were they involved in the early reading process? 

I have not let my children read the book, but I do have 2 signed copies saved for them when they turn 18. They know about the book and are very excited to read it, when I will let them. My husband read the original draft and two additional drafts. He read the final draft on March 15th when it was officially published. He has been with me every step of the way, for every decision, every review, every celebration. All of it!!!!

Are you working on anything right now?

I am working on ideas and plot lines for a second book that will be about big business and child trafficking. Another topic that is important for people to acknowledge and understand.


Comments

  1. Thank you for the interview! I had fun ❣️🗝

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your interview and book details, I have enjoyed reading about you and your work and I am looking forward to reading your story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing book!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coloring the Rainbow: The Power of Connection by Catherine Rose

The Last Train From Paris by Juliet Greenwood

The Prime Suspect by Lauren Carr