Meg & Jo by Virginia Kantra

This modern retelling of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, focuses two of the four March sisters, Meg and Jo. Meg has a beautiful family with her husband and their young twins. She lives near her parents farm and is known as the reliable one, always helping others and putting everyone else first. Jo is an aspiring writer working in the kitchen for a famous New York City chef. Jo, as the oldest, is expected to take care of their mother and be the mature one.

As I was reading this story, I tried to relate it back to original version but I found myself enjoying to book so much more when I focused only on this story. It has been quite awhile since I've read Little Women, and while I recognized some elements, it was distracting to try to analyze what was new and what was true to the original story.

I loved Jo but related much more with Meg. As a mother, I related with her worries and troubled relationship with her husband. It is so easy to lose your relationship with husband as you focus on raising children. I loved watching her work through her relationship and learn to accept help.

I can't say enough good things about this book! It took me several days to read it but it was not for lack of trying. I had a very hard time putting this book down. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Little Women, but caution not to try to match this story up to the original, especially if you have not read the original recently. I loved this book by itself. I was so excited to read in the back of the book, a preview of Beth & Amy, Kantra's next book telling the story of the next two March sisters. I can't wait to get my hands on her next book!

๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coloring the Rainbow: The Power of Connection by Catherine Rose

The Last Train From Paris by Juliet Greenwood

The Prime Suspect by Lauren Carr